PANAJI, India, Jan. 6 (UPI) -- Two more bodies were retrieved from the rubble of a building under construction in western India's Goa state, raising the death toll to 17, officials said.
About 15 other people were feared to have been trapped in the debris of the six-story residential building, which collapsed Saturday in the town of Canacona.
Army personnel were assisting civil agencies in a rescue effort, using earth-moving machinery, gas cutters and cranes.
The Press Trust of India news agency, quoting a senior fire official, reported the death toll had risen to 17.
At least 16 people had been admitted to hospitals with various injuries.
Rescue efforts were hampered because the building is located in a narrow lane, the PTI report said.
Police were looking for the builder and a contractor, both accused of negligence, causing death and endangering human life.