facebook
twitter
search
search

599 hurt by fireworks in the Philippines, up 40 percent from last year

Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:46 AM

MANILA, Jan. 1 (UPI) -- Nearly 600 people were injured by fireworks in the Philippines during celebrations leading up to the New Year, health officials said.

As of 6 a.m. Wednesday, 599 injuries were recorded between Dec. 21 and Jan. 1, and 143 of the victims were children, the Philippine Daily Inquirer.net reported.

The injuries amount to a 40 percent increase from last year.

The Department of Health said a banned firework, the piccolo, was responsible for the most injuries.

The Jose Reyes Memorial Medical Center in Manila recorded the highest number of fireworks patients, the newspaper website said.

Related UPI Stories
Topics: Jose Reyes
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
5 Reasons why Denver Broncos won't be repeat champions
U.N. human rights report: Syria's Assad guilty of 'inhuman' crimes, gruesome torture and deaths
Islamic State crucifies teen in Syria
Early human ancestor didn't have a nutcracker jaw
Elton John rides with James Corden for Carpool Karaoke