facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

599 hurt by fireworks in the Philippines, up 40 percent from last year

Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:46 AM   |   Comments

MANILA, Jan. 1 (UPI) -- Nearly 600 people were injured by fireworks in the Philippines during celebrations leading up to the New Year, health officials said.

As of 6 a.m. Wednesday, 599 injuries were recorded between Dec. 21 and Jan. 1, and 143 of the victims were children, the Philippine Daily Inquirer.net reported.

The injuries amount to a 40 percent increase from last year.

The Department of Health said a banned firework, the piccolo, was responsible for the most injuries.

The Jose Reyes Memorial Medical Center in Manila recorded the highest number of fireworks patients, the newspaper website said.

Topics: Jose Reyes
© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Source: Ferguson cop beaten before shooting
2
Boko Haram overruns Nigerian police academy
3
Brady Morton's body discovered three days after Port Huron Float Down
4
Alleged jihadist charged with killing 4 in Washington, N.J.
5
Granite head of Lenin stays unexcavated, Berlin senate says
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback