facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search

599 hurt by fireworks in the Philippines, up 40 percent from last year

Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:46 AM   |   Comments

MANILA, Jan. 1 (UPI) -- Nearly 600 people were injured by fireworks in the Philippines during celebrations leading up to the New Year, health officials said.

As of 6 a.m. Wednesday, 599 injuries were recorded between Dec. 21 and Jan. 1, and 143 of the victims were children, the Philippine Daily Inquirer.net reported.

The injuries amount to a 40 percent increase from last year.

The Department of Health said a banned firework, the piccolo, was responsible for the most injuries.

The Jose Reyes Memorial Medical Center in Manila recorded the highest number of fireworks patients, the newspaper website said.

Topics: Jose Reyes
© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Who is the 'Woman in Black' roaming U.S. highways?
2
Army receives first advanced CH-47F helicopter variant
3
Oklahoma shook by three earthquakes in less than 48 hours
4
Comic-Con cosplayer sexually assaulted, beaten and left in gutter
5
Man accused of raping teen at Keith Urban concert
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback