2 Italians suffer amputations due to fireworks

Dec. 26, 2013 at 3:59 PM   |   0 comments

ROME, Dec. 26 (UPI) -- Two people in Italy had to undergo amputations during the Christmas holidays due to firework-related injuries, officials said.

Near the city of Avellino, a 23-year-old man had to have his arm amputated after sparks from one firework set off a bundle of other fireworks he was carrying in a bag, Italy's ANSA news agency reported.

In Paterno, near Catania, a 25-year-old student's hand had to be amputated on Wednesday after a firework he was holding set off.

No other details in either incident were reported.

Every year, a number of Italians suffer injuries or die due to fireworks on New Year's Eve. More injuries due to fireworks are expected next week, the report said.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Trending News
Join the conversation
Most Popular
Photos
Video
x
Feedback