facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search

Two dead from generator fumes as massive power outage hits Toronto

Dec. 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM   |   Comments

TORONTO, Dec. 24 (UPI) -- Two people in Canada died of carbon monoxide poisoning while using a gas-powered generator to heat their home during a power outage, officials say.

An ice storm that that toppled trees and power lines, knocking out power to hundreds of thousands of people in the Toronto area sparked more than 100 calls about carbon monoxide poisoning, the Toronto Star reported.

The deaths of a 52-year-old man and his 72-year-old mother occurred in Newcastle, about 50 miles east of Toronto, when fumes from a generator seeped into their home Monday afternoon.

Several people in the home called for emergency help after they fell ill. The man and his mother were rushed to a hospital where they died, the Star said.

About 90,000 homes and businesses in Toronto remained dark and cold for a third day at midday Christmas Eve. Many were not expected to have power until Friday, authorities said.

Toronto Hydro Chief Executive Officer Anthony Haines said Tuesday morning about 40 feeder lines that each carried electricity to thousands of customers still needed to be reconnected.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
One cop issued 80 percent of the marijuana tickets in Seattle this year
2
Oklahoma shook by three earthquakes in less than 48 hours
3
Army receives first advanced CH-47F helicopter variant
4
Comic-Con cosplayer sexually assaulted, beaten and left in gutter
5
Utah man teaches 'homophones', fired for promoting gay agenda
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback