On Jan. 31 the Court of Cassation will review sentences handed down in manslaughter trials after the ship ran aground last year off the coast of Tuscany, killing 32 people, the Italian news agency ANSA reported.
Prosecutors in Florence, Italy, are contesting light jail sentences given in July to crisis management chief Roberto Ferrarini, hotel quarters director Manrico Giampedroni, first officer Ciro Ambosio, officer Silvia Coronica and helmsmen Jacob Rusli, ranging from one year and six months to two years and 10 months.
Each was accused of multiple manslaughter, and prosecutors said the suspects did not earn their plea bargains, "having made no particular contribution to the investigations" with their "generic testimony."
The former captain of the ship, Francesco Schettino, is currently on trial for multiple manslaughter and dereliction of duty, and could face 20 years imprisonment if found guilty, ANSA said.
2014: The Year in Fashion [PHOTOS]
Syrian Al Qaida group executes Lebanese soldier