account
search
search

Phone hacking jury told that Queen was furious when officers ate snacks

  |   Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM
| License Photo
LONDON, Dec. 13 (UPI) -- Queen Elizabeth was angered when royal protection officers ate her nuts and Bombay mix left out in Buckingham Palace, an email cited in court states.

The evidence came during a trial of News of the World journalists who are accused of phone hacking and intercepting voice mails.

During the trial Thursday, jurors were shown a memo that was sent from former editor Clive Goodman to his colleague Andy Coulson.

Prosecuting attorney Andrew Edis said that Goodman wrote in a 2005 email that the Queen had been annoyed after discovering that her snacks were going missing, the Daily Telegraph reported.

"Queen is no narked she started marking the bowls to see when the levels dipped. Memo now gone around to all palace cops telling them to keep their sticky fingers out," the email states.

The email also included information about the preparations for the wedding between the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall.

Goodman is accused of purchasing internal palace phone directories from two unidentified officers, the Guardian reported.

Goodman and Coulson are charged with two counts of conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office.

Goodman, Rebekah Brooks, Ian Edmondson and Stuart Kuttner are also accused of conspiracy to hack phones.

They have all denied the allegations.

Related UPI Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
x
Feedback