facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Boy recovering from eye-gouging in China

Nov. 23, 2013 at 1:05 PM   |   Comments

SHENZHEN, China, Nov. 23 (UPI) -- A 6-year-old boy who lost an eye when a woman attacked him was making progress this week after an artificial eye implant at a Chinese hospital, doctors said.

The boy was blinded in a bizarre attack in which a woman allegedly lured him into a field and then gouged out his eyes.

The case sparked national outrage in China, the official Xinhua News Agency said.

Police initially suspected the boy had been waylaid by members of the black market for transplant organs but suspicion later fell on the boy's aunt, who killed herself about a week after the attack, the BBC said.

The boy received a full ocular prosthesis in his right eye socket and an eyelid transplant in his left Sept. 10 at the C-MER (Shenzhen) Dennis Lam Eye Hospital in Shanxi Province.

The hospital said in an update Friday the boy was in good condition and appeared to be recovering from the psychological trauma as well.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Jodi Arias granted delay in death penalty retrial
2
Hamas executes 18 it claims are Israeli informers, takes credit for kidnapping Israeli teens
3
Man who spent 24 years in prison for arson murder freed
4
Malaysia Airlines MH17 victims' bodies arrive in Kuala Lumpur
5
Heather Mack, mother, argued in lobby before suitcase murder
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback