Hacking trial: News of the World hacked Mail on Sunday

Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:09 AM
| License Photo

LONDON, Nov. 13 (UPI) -- Glenn Mulcaire, a private detective working for News of the World, spied on a rival newspaper, Mail on Sunday, jurors in London were told.

The jury in the trial of four former News of the World editors was given evidence Tuesday of Mulcaire's work for the newspaper that both prosecution and defense agree on, The Guardian reported. They were also shown a memo handwritten by Mulcaire and titled "Target Evaluation" that listed 18 people, including Kate Middleton, Prince William's future wife.

Jurors were told that in 2006 Mulcaire hacked into the voice mail of two Mail on Sunday reporters. Both newspapers were pursuing a story that John Prescott, then the deputy prime minister, was having an affair with one of his secretaries.

The evidence included phone records and a memo from a News of the World editor about the paper's "spoiler" of what had been a Mail on Sunday exclusive.

In addition to Middleton, the target list included others with ties to the royal family, including Tom Parker Bowles, a son of Camilla, duchess of Cornwall, by her first marriage.

Media mogul Rupert Murdoch shut the News of the World down after the hacking scandal exploded. The defendants include Rebekah Brooks, who rose to be a top executive in Murdoch's British operations, Andy Coulson, who became Prime Minister David Cameron's press secretary, Ian Edmondson and Stuart Kuttner.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
TSU shooting: 1 dead, 1 wounded in third shooting this week at Houston campus
Listeria threat prompts Whole Foods cheese recall
Russia says missiles aimed at Syria did not land in Iran
Captive orca breeding banned at California's SeaWorld
Wrong drug used in Oklahoma execution