OSLO, Norway, Oct. 14 (UPI) -- A survivor of the 2011 massacre in and near Oslo, Norway, will be expelled after admitting he lied to get into the country 11 years ago, officials said.
Earlier this year, Khaled Ahmed Taleb admitted to police he lied when he said he was fleeing the civil war in Somalia when he entered Norway in 2002 when he really came from Djibouti, TheLocal.no reported.
While in Norway, Taleb built a successful political career, representing the Labor Party in the Hedmark county council and the Hamar municipality under the name Khalid Haji Ahmed.
Taleb lost his brother in the 2011 massacre carried out by far right-winger Anders Breivik on the island of Utoya, which Breivik attacked after detonating a deadly bomb in downtown Oslo.
After he revealed his deception, Taleb resigned from his political offices and was sentenced in May to four months in jail. The Local reported Saturday.
"He has done a good job motivating young people," Hamar Mayor Morten Aspeli told NRK. "The decision to send Khaled out of the country has been made by the immigration authorities under Norwegian law, and I have to accept their reasoning."
Immigration officials haven't decided whether to expel Taleb's parents and two brothers, whom he helped move to Norway after he arrived.