facebook
twitter
search
search

Turkish court upholds 'Sledgehammer' coup convictions

Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM

ANKARA, Turkey, Oct. 9 (UPI) -- A Turkish appeals court upheld the convictions Wednesday of a group of military leaders charged with participating in an attempted coup.

Among those who lost their appeals was Gen. Cetin Dogan, who was charged with masterminding the so-called Sledgehammer coup and who once served a commander of the First Army, Today's Zaman reported. Dogan was sentenced to 20 years in prison after his conviction last year.

The government charged that Dogan and other military officers planned the coup in 2003, the year that Recep Tayyip Erdogan, a moderate Islamist, became prime minister. The plot included carrying out bombings at mosques and other violent acts to cause social conflict and lay the ground for a military takeover, officials said.

Admiral Ozden Ornek, former head of the Turkish navy, and Gen. Ibrahim Fortina, who once commanded the air force, were convicted with Dogan and also received 20-year sentences.

In its ruling, the Supreme Court of Appeals upheld the convictions of 237 people, including Dogan.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Kim Jong Un had terrapin farm manager executed, says source
More than 80 percent of North Korean defectors are women, says report
North Korea requests medical aid from U.N. agencies
Kenyan bishop warns Obama against pro-gay policy
Duma approves construction of $4 billion bridge to Crimea