facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Recovery continues at site of Italian immigrant boat disaster

Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:55 AM   |   Comments

ROME, Oct. 6 (UPI) -- Italian authorities said divers recovered another 10 bodies from the wreckage of a boat carrying African immigrants that sank last week.

The death toll was raised to 121 Sunday with as many as 250 passengers still unaccounted for in the waters off the island of Lampedusa.

The boat was one of many that regularly smuggle immigrants from North Africa into Sicily and other Italian islands. The vessel's motor died off Lampedusa and then caught fire when the skipper lit a signal fire on the deck in order to attract attention.

The BBC said 155 survivors were picked up, mainly by fishing boats in the area. The Italian coast guard has denied it was slow in responding to the report of the sinking.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Ukraine: Troop movements will no longer be publicized after Russian attacks
2
High-ranking Chicago police officer charged with putting gun in man's mouth
3
Federal judge strikes down polygamy ban in Utah
4
Putin mocks trapped Ukrainian soldiers, urges rebels to release them
5
Islamic State claims mass execution of 250 Syrian soldiers
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback