UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Vietnamese Gen. Giap dies at 102

  |
 
Published: Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:33 PM

HANOI, Vietnam, Oct. 4 (UPI) -- Vietnamese Gen. Vo Nguyen Giap, known for his defeat of French troops at the battle of Dien Bien Phu in northern Vietnam, passed away Friday at the age of 102.

Giap died at a military hospital in Hanoi, where he had been living since 2009, Tuoitrenews reported.

The general joined Ho Chi Minh's nationalist Viet Minh forces while he was living in exile in China in the 1940s, The Wall Street Journal reported.

Although Giap had no military training, he became a top military commander and returned to his home country in 1944 to force the French out of Vietnam during the First Indochina War.

Giap went on to lead the 57-day battle of Dien Bien Phu in 1954, which ended with France surrendering.

In a 1999 interview with the U.S. Public Broadcasting System, Giap said the victory was "the first great victory for a weak, colonized people struggling against the full strength of modern Western forces. This is why it was the first great defeat for the West. It shook the foundations of colonialism and called on people to fight for their freedom."

Giap stayed at his post for the Vietnam War, which resulted in a stalemate with the United States, forcing American troops out of the conflict, and ultimately uniting North and South Vietnam, The New York Times reported.

Following the wars, Giap campaigned for an economic overhaul and closer relations with the United States. Most recently he was fighting to protect Vietnam's fragile ecology that has been damaged by strip mining.

Topics: Viet Minh
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional World News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...