UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Video shows Kenyan soldiers looting mall during siege that killed 67

  |
 
Published: Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:48 AM

NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct. 4 (UPI) -- Video from the Westgate Mall terrorist attack that killed 67 people last month in Nairobi, Kenya, showed some soldiers looting stores, officials said.

The footage indicates some the looting began soon after the army took over the operation from police on Sept. 21, the first day of the massacre, The Star reported Thursday.

Video taken from different cameras in the upscale mall also showed some movement of the terrorists on the first day of the four-day siege.

The mall looting occurred as various security agencies argued about who was in charge at the mall, The Star said.

Video shows three soldiers walking out of the Nakumatt grocery store with bags filled with cash taken from registers.

A jewelry shop in the mall was emptied, with thousands of dollars in gems stolen, the Los Angeles Times said. Security forces reportedly looted every store except for a local shoe shop.

Other footage from Sept. 21 shows two attackers armed with AK-47 rifles climbing the stairs to the main entrance and firing their weapons, killing and injuring security personnel and shoppers, The Star said.

Police said they were splicing video from different cameras in the mall to help reconstruct what happened.

President Uhuru Kenyatta ordered an investigation into security lapses after reports surfaced that police ignored intelligence warnings of an attack, the Times said.

The Ministry of Defense, in a statement Thursday after a meeting of military chiefs, said soldiers weren't the only security forces inside the mall but it will investigate the accusations of looting.

"Information is rife in the public domain that some of the KDF [Kenya Defense Forces] soldiers behaved unprofessionally during the operation," the statement said. "The allegation about this unprofessional conduct ... came to us with consternation and we as the Ministry of Defense [are] determined to get to the bottom of this."

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional World News Stories
Video
1 of 16
2013 Presidents Cup played at Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin, Ohio
View Caption
Former U.S. President George W. Bush (C) points to the crowd as he stands on the first tee box at the 2013 Presidents Cup at Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin, Ohio on October 3, 2013. UPI/Brian Kersey
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...