UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Kerry stresses denuclearization of N. Korea as starter for talks

  |
 
Published: Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:21 AM

TOKYO, Oct. 4 (UPI) -- The United States is ready for negotiations with North Korea provided the Communist country first agrees to denuclearize, Secretary of State John Kerry said.

Addressing a joint news conference in Tokyo at the start of his Asian tour, Kerry discussed the six-nation talks on North Korea's denuclearization. Joining Kerry at the news conference were U.S. Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel, and Japan's Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida and Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera.

The six-nation talks among North and South Korea, China, Russia, Japan and the United States have remained stalled since 2009 after the North withdrew. Since then the North has come under tough U.N. Security Council sanctions for continuing with its nuclear and other tests in violation of U.N. resolutions.

Kerry said North Korea has "behaved outside of any standards of rule of law and any of the norms of international behavior," said a transcript of the news conference on the U.S. State Department website.

"And North Korea needs to understand that the United States of America is prepared to engage in negotiations, providing North Korea makes it clear that those negotiations begin with the issue of denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula."

Kerry said the six-party talks have made it "crystal clear we are prepared to reengage in those talks, we are prepared to have a peaceful relationship with North Korea, we are not engaged in regime change, we are prepared to sign a non-aggression agreement – providing North Korea decides to denuclearize and to engage in legitimate negotiations to achieve that end."

However, the Secretary said the United States has said several times it will not get into a repeat of past negotiations "which go around in a circle, where there's some concession, some agreement, and then the agreement is broken, and the nuclear program continues and gets even further down the road."

Topics: Chuck Hagel, John Kerry
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional World News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...