UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Authorities fear migrants' death toll from boat wreck could reach 300

  |
 
Published: Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:19 AM

LAMPEDUSA, Italy, Oct. 4 (UPI) -- The death toll from a migrants' boat that wrecked and burned off the Sicilian island of Lampedusa stood at 110 and could reach 300, authorities said Friday.

Interior Minister Angelino Alfano said 110 bodies were at the island's morgue after the boat, bound from Libya, capsized and burned Thursday, ANSA reported.

Authorities said 200 people were unaccounted-for, CNN reported.

About 155 people had been rescued.

Alfano said rough seas made recovery operations difficult.

The boat carrying about 500 Somali and Eritrean migrants was taking on water, then fire spread through the vessel from a blanket lighted as signal for help, officials said.

Italy's government declared Friday a national day of mourning for the victims, CNN said.

Pope Francis expressed sadness and outrage over the accident, The New York Times reported.

"The word disgrace comes to me," the pope said. "Let us unite our efforts so that similar tragedies do not happen again. Only a decided collaboration among all can help to stop them."

Lampedusa, about 70 miles from Tunisia, has been the point of entry to Europe for more than 200,000 refugees and migrants since 1999, CNN said.

Izabella Cooper, a spokeswoman for the European Union's border agency Frontex, told CNN migrants typically travel in overcrowded vessels that lack the proper power to make the journey.

"Italy is currently facing the biggest migratory pressure of all European countries," she said.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional World News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...