Most of the casualties were in remote areas of three cities in southern Shaanxi province, the South China Morning Post reported Thursday.
The Asian giant hornets, which are about 2 inches long, have highly toxic venom that is injected into a person with a quarter-inch stinger.
One person was treated for acute renal failure at a hospital in Ankang after he was stung on the head and legs. He said the insects chased him more than 600 feet.
A 55-year-old woman said she was stung more than 200 times and had been hospitalized for a month.
The Ankang fire department has removed more than 300 hornet nests from residential areas since July.
A director of the Ankang Disease Control Center said swarms of the flying bugs were common in the area every fall.
Senate Democrats to pull all-nighter on climate change
Teacher apologizes for showing sexual image of herself in class