Superior Court Judge Marc-Andre Blanchard refused to dismiss the lawsuit brought by Jean-Pierre Lord, a student at the University of Quebec at Montreal, The (Montreal) Gazette reported Wednesday.
Lord says police got hundreds of students into a bottleneck during the demonstration on May 22, 2012, and then used 17 city buses as holding pens. The lawsuit charges the students were held for hours with their hands cuffed behind them, with no toilet facilities and no concern about those with medical problems.
The protesters, including Lord, were eventually fined hundreds of dollars each for violating a city ordinance aimed at student groups. The ordinance requires organizers of protest marches to notify police of their route.
In the complaint, Lord says the students had been obeying police instructions and the police Twitter feed suggested the demonstration could continue. But he said when students followed instructions to stay out of a tunnel they found themselves blocked by police who then began the arrests.
Lawyers for the city called the allegations frivolous but were overruled by Blanchard.
Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman for 'Batman vs. Superman'
Jordana Brewster on Paul Walker: 'He was an enormous presence in my life'