The baby was a few days old when he was admitted to the Kilpauk Medical College Hospital, the Times (of India) News Network reported. Doctors said Thursday he would be discharged with his mother into protected housing arranged by the Indian Council for Child Welfare.
The boy, identified only by the name Rahul, was thoroughly tested during three months in the hospital, doctors said.
They determined he could not have caught fire spontaneously, and investigators are trying to determine whether someone set him on fire.
"Nobody has been able to pinpoint the reason why Rahul suffered burn injuries. Our aim is to protect the child until a conclusion is reached, so we'll keep Rahul and his mother Rajeshwari in a place where he will also get additional protection, but only after his parents' approval," Chandradevi Thanikachalam, the general secretary of the ICCW, said.
The boy was burned in the family home in a village near Tindivanam in southern India. He was transferred to the Kilpauk hospital in Chennai, the city formerly known as Madras.
2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]