21 dead, 250 wounded in car bomb in Beirut

Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:23 AM

BEIRUT, Lebanon, Aug. 16 (UPI) -- Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah blamed Israel for a car bomb in Beirut, Lebanon, that killed 21 people and injured 250 others.

The Lebanese army said the bomb went off Thursday evening in the Ruwaiss neighborhood as people were returning home from work for the day.

Ruwaiss is considered a Hezbollah stronghold, The Daily Star reported.

Authorities were investigating whether the bombing was a suicide attack, security sources, whose names were not reported, told the newspaper.

A group referring to itself as Brigade of Aisha, or the Mother of the Faithful, claimed responsibility for the attack. The group was previously unheard of and possible affiliations with other groups were not reported.

Nasrallah said Israel was behind the attack, perhaps in retaliation for a Hezbollah attack on Israeli soldiers who had crossed the border into Lebanon, the Star said.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
TSU shooting: 1 dead, 1 wounded in third shooting this week at Houston campus
Listeria threat prompts Whole Foods cheese recall
Russia says missiles aimed at Syria did not land in Iran
Captive orca breeding banned at California's SeaWorld
Wrong drug used in Oklahoma execution