Teen in Ontario touches wire in tree, nearly electrocuted

July 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM

OAKVILLE, Ontario, July 18 (UPI) -- A boy was hospitalized after he climbed a tree at a small Oakville, Ontario, country club and touched an electrical wire, nearly killing him, police said.

The unidentified boy, 13, visited the Fogolars Italian country club Wednesday with his family and climbed a tree on the property whose leaves partially hid an electric wire.

He climbed as high as 7.5 meters (24.6 feet) before he came in contact with the wire, received an electric shock and struck several branches as he fell to the ground, a statement by Halston Regional Police said.

The teen was taken to McMaster Childrens Hospital in Hamilton, Ont., and was in serious but stable condition, the Toronto Sun reported Thursday.

The country club will remain closed and without power until the end of the week to accommodate an ongoing investigation, board member Luigi Scotta said.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Russia says missiles aimed at Syria did not land in Iran
Tunisian democracy advocates win Nobel Peace Prize
Captive orca breeding banned at California's SeaWorld
House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy drops bid for speaker
WikiLeaks offering $50K for video of Afghan hospital bombing