facebook
twitter
search
search

False alarm shark attack closes beaches

July 10, 2013 at 8:33 AM

L'ESCALA, Spain, July 10 (UPI) -- Swimmers on five beaches in Spain, said they were told not to go back in the water due to a shark attack report that was later dismissed as a false alarm.

Red Cross lifeguards told the swimmers to get out of the water at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday when a man at the Moll Grec beach said a blue shark had caused minor injuries to his arm, TheLocal.es said.

Five beaches in Catalonia were closed and warning flags were raised.

Authorities searched for the animal, but did not find it.

Doctors who examined the man's arm ruled out the possibility that the injuries had been caused by a shark, TheLocal.es said.

The incident was dismissed as a false alarm.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
North Korean diplomats sending their children to mental hospitals
Catholic Church in Norway ordered to pay $5.1 million for fraud
Report: North Korea executed over 1,300 people
Shark bite confirmed off North Carolina shore
Ex-Auschwitz guard Oskar Groening seeks forgiveness from God