facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Russians' support for bringing back the death penalty is falling

July 1, 2013 at 5:21 PM   |   Comments

MOSCOW, July 1 (UPI) -- Support among Russians for restoring the death penalty is waning, a poll released Monday indicates, though Moscovites still heavily favor its return.

The poll by the Levada Center, found 38 percent support capital punishment to the extent it was applied before a 1996 moratorium, and 16 percent favor its expansion, the Russian state news agency ITAR-Tass reported. The total, 54 percent, is lower than the 61 percent who favored it in 2012, or the 68 percent who supported it in 2002.

Men and the elderly, at 54 percent and 61 percent, respectively, favor capital punishment, as do 77 percent of Moscow residents, the newspaper Izvestia reported, noting urban residents approve of capital punishment more so than those in rural regions.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
France holds up delivery of warships to Russia France holds up delivery of warships to Russia
2
North Korea publicly executes 10 people for watching South Korean soap operas North Korea publicly executes 10 people for watching South Korean soap operas
3
Suspected Pennsylvania cop killer Eric Frein nabbed Suspected Pennsylvania cop killer Eric Frein nabbed
4
Father upset over Islam history lesson barred from school over threats Father upset over Islam history lesson barred from school over threats
5
Actress Lucy DeCoutere becomes first public accuser of Jian Ghomeshi Actress Lucy DeCoutere becomes first public accuser of Jian Ghomeshi
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback