facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Australian child dies after eating lithium battery

July 1, 2013 at 10:16 AM   |   Comments

NOOSAVILLE, Australia, July 1 (UPI) -- A 4-year-old Australian girl died after swallowing a lithium battery, officials said.

The girl was brought to a hospital in Australia's Queensland state on Sunday with stomach bleeding, the Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported.

She was then transferred to another hospital, where she died.

Susan Teerds from Kidsafe Queensland said parents must be vigilant in keeping lithium batteries, which are small and circular, away from their children.

"When a child swallows a battery it often gets caught in the oesophagus, around the voice box. Once it's been lodged, within an hour, it will start to burn a hole," Teerds said. "The saliva actually starts a chemical reaction and burns a hole through the oesophagus and can keep burning a hole into the aorta, through to the spine and whatever else is there."

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
School accused of using girl as rape bait; girl gets attacked School accused of using girl as rape bait; girl gets attacked
2
Man who raped pit bull puppy sentenced to five years in prison Man who raped pit bull puppy sentenced to five years in prison
3
40 Islamic State fighters killed in U.S. air strike 40 Islamic State fighters killed in U.S. air strike
4
Man beaten to death by barbell in San Francisco gym Man beaten to death by barbell in San Francisco gym
5
Climate change march attracts hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers and others Climate change march attracts hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers and others
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback