facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Australian child dies after eating lithium battery

July 1, 2013 at 10:16 AM   |   Comments

NOOSAVILLE, Australia, July 1 (UPI) -- A 4-year-old Australian girl died after swallowing a lithium battery, officials said.

The girl was brought to a hospital in Australia's Queensland state on Sunday with stomach bleeding, the Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported.

She was then transferred to another hospital, where she died.

Susan Teerds from Kidsafe Queensland said parents must be vigilant in keeping lithium batteries, which are small and circular, away from their children.

"When a child swallows a battery it often gets caught in the oesophagus, around the voice box. Once it's been lodged, within an hour, it will start to burn a hole," Teerds said. "The saliva actually starts a chemical reaction and burns a hole through the oesophagus and can keep burning a hole into the aorta, through to the spine and whatever else is there."

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Russia prepares militarization of Arctic Russia prepares militarization of Arctic
2
Freedom variant LCS takes to water Freedom variant LCS takes to water
3
New Pa. law aimed at Mumia Abu-Jamal allows lawsuits against inmates New Pa. law aimed at Mumia Abu-Jamal allows lawsuits against inmates
4
Toyota, Honda, Mazda, BMW, Nissan and GM all affected by defective airbag recall Toyota, Honda, Mazda, BMW, Nissan and GM all affected by defective airbag recall
5
79-year-old woman survives in desert for 5 days 79-year-old woman survives in desert for 5 days
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback