LILLE, France, June 11 (UPI) -- French prosecutors Tuesday asked charges stemming from a prostitution ring be dropped against ex-International Monetary Fund leader Dominique Strauss-Kahn.
A judge sitting in Lille will decide whether to act on the prosecution request, which was made because of a lack of evidence of his participation, CNN reported.
Strauss-Kahn was among a several people charged with aggravated pimping in an investigation into sex parties at the Hotel Carlton in Lille. While not denying he attended the parties, Strauss-Kahn's lawyers said he didn't know the women attending the party were being paid for sex.
Prosecutors also asked that charges be dropped against another defendant, Jean-Luc Vergin, also on the grounds of insufficient evidence, CNN said.
However, prosecutors said in a statement 12 people should be tried.
Strauss-Khan, 64, had been expected to be the Socialist presidential candidate in France until his professional career blew up following a series of sexual assault allegations in the United States and Europe.