Neighborhood clashes in Lebanon leave 3 dead, 28 injured

June 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM

TRIPOLI, Lebanon, June 3 (UPI) -- Clashes between residents in two neighborhoods in Tripoli, northern Lebanon, killed three people and injured 28 others, officials said Monday.

Small arms, machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades were used by the combatants in the Bab al-Tabbaneh and Jabal Mohsen neighborhoods, The (Beirut) Daily Star reported.

They started fighting Sunday in a conflict tied to the Syrian civil war, the Star said.

Many residents in Jabal Mohsen support Syrian President Bashar Assad and much of Bab al-Tabbaneh backs the rebels fighting against Assad's regime, the report said.

Soad Mohammad, Sayed Antoun and Ahmad Sabih, were killed by gunfire during the clashes, officials said.

A number of residential buildings and stores were damaged.

Last month, 30 people were killed and more than 200 injured in similar clashes, the newspaper said.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Vatican: Pope's meeting with Kim Davis not a show of support
Potential male contraceptive found in study with mice
Cancer and height are linked, new study shows
Hacker may have exposed data of 15 million T-Mobile customers
Education Secretary Arne Duncan to step down in December