CAIRO, May 21 (UPI) -- Dozens of students at Al-Azhar University in Egypt said they smelled kerosene in beans served for dinner in the school's dormitories.
The students protested Monday after dinner, Ahram Online reported.
An official from the university said initial tests didn't indicate any contamination and that the odor may have come from the gas stove on which the beans were cooked.
The incident follows two recent cases of food poisoning at the university. Five-hundred students were hospitalized after falling ill in April and more than 160 became ill in early May.
A trial of 10 people accused of being responsible for the April food poisoning is to begin Wednesday.