facebook
twitter
search
search

More suspects detained in Turkey car bombing

May 18, 2013 at 5:11 PM

ANKARA, Turkey, May 18 (UPI) -- Turkish officials said four more suspects have been detained after two car bombs exploded last week near the Syrian border killing 51 people.

In total, 17 people have either been jailed or interviewed by Turkish police after the attack, Today's Zaman said. Turkish officials suspect the attack was carried out by elements loyal to Syrian President Bashar Assad in an attempt to escalate Syria's two-year civil war into a larger regional conflict.

Assad's government has denied any role in the bombing.

Celalettin Lekesiz, governor of Hatay province, said four more suspects remain at large.

Latest Headlines
Top Stories
North Korea blasts Donald Trump's South Korea remarks
Officials debate 'when to suspend' search for missing Florida boys
Gangs in El Salvador kill at least six bus drivers to intimidate government
Venezuela arrests 212 suspected criminals, recovers stolen apartments
Obama administration offers assistance in Cecil the lion investigation