facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Pesticide sickens Cambodian wedding party

May 15, 2013 at 7:45 AM   |   Comments

SAMRONG, Cambodia, May 15 (UPI) -- Approximately 50 children and more than a dozen adults were hospitalized in Cambodia after eating food contaminated by pesticides at a wedding, officials said.

Samrong town police Gov. Noun Eth said the group became sick when they ate food that had been stored in metal bins that had previously contained pesticide for cassava trees.

"I went down immediately when it was reported that a lot of villagers had been poisoned. They were vomiting and had  diarrhea after eating the food cooked by villagers," he said.

The cooks at the wedding party had not properly washed out the metal bins before storing meat and vegetables in them, The Phnom Penh Post reported Wednesday.

"We found the cause of poisoning to be careless hygiene because the tubs used to keep food for the wedding guests were not cleaned properly," Eth said.

The sick wedding guests were able to return home after treatment at the hospital, the newspaper said.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Pope Francis condemns 'hostile inflexibility' within the church Pope Francis condemns 'hostile inflexibility' within the church
2
Elizabeth Warren continues chanting: 'The game is rigged' Elizabeth Warren continues chanting: 'The game is rigged'
3
Eric Frein manhunt refocuses after possible sighting Eric Frein manhunt refocuses after possible sighting
4
Sweden continues search for suspected Russian submarine Sweden continues search for suspected Russian submarine
5
Early completion of refit of Italian aircraft carrier Early completion of refit of Italian aircraft carrier
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback