A smoky fire that broke out Friday at the Glado kvarn refuse station will take several days to fully extinguish, Ulf Sjoholm of the Stockholm emergency services agency said.
The blaze was spectacular enough it stirred up a mistaken report that Sweden's royal palace in central Stockholm was on fire, the Swedish news agency TT said.
Stockholm fire crews were able to knock down the fire, however, it will be up to the facility operators to snuff out the many smoldering hot spots.
"They are using trucks, lamps and are extinguishing as needed," Sjoholm said. "They have their own resources for this."
Sjoholm said the smoke this week would be noticeable in parts of Stockholm, but was not a significant health hazard.
Couple mistakenly served bag of cash at McDonald's drive-thru
Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman for 'Batman vs. Superman'