
DUBLIN, Ireland, May 8 (UPI) -- Irish soldiers who left their country's military to fight in the British army during World War II may soon be getting a belated pardon.
Justice Minister Alan Shatter, who apologized to the group last year on behalf of the government, said they were treated in a "shameful manner," The Irish Independent reported. He said unfortunately many of those who were labeled as deserters have since died.
Ireland remained neutral throughout World War II, although it allowed some use of its airspace by British and U.S. planes and shared intelligence with the Allies.
Veterans of the British army were barred from government jobs after the war.
A bill to be introduced Wednesday will grant amnesty to the veterans.
"The bill is being enacted in recognition of the courage and bravery of those individuals court-martialed or dismissed from the defense forces who fought on the Allied side to protect decency and democracy during World War II," Shatter said. "It gives important statutory expression to the apology given by me on behalf of the state last year for the shameful manner in which they were treated."
|
|
|
|
|
|
| Stories | Photos | Comments |
View Caption