facebook
twitter
search
search

South Korea and China establish second hotline

April 24, 2013 at 11:26 AM

BEIJING, April 24 (UPI) -- South Korea and China agreed Wednesday to set up a 24-hour hotline to deal with rising tension over North Korea, top diplomats from both countries said.

It will be the second hotline between the two countries following one established last year between their defense chiefs, Yonhap reported.

Visiting South Korean Foreign Minister Yun Byung-se and his Chinese counterpart revealed plans for their hotline as Pyongyang's top general renewed calls for more production of "miniaturized" nuclear weapons and missiles.

Yun told a news conference in Beijing that the two sides will work closely together to convince the North not to carry out additional provocations.

China fought alongside North Korea in the 1950-53 Korean War.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Hyon Yong Chol disparaged Kim Jong Un prior to execution, analyst says
Officials debate 'when to suspend' search for missing Florida boys
Napa Valley fire reignites, hundreds more evacuated
In Khamenei Tweet, man resembling Obama holds gun to head
Taliban leader Mullah Omar confirmed dead