UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

86 of 166 prisoners at Guantanamo Bay on hunger strike

|
 
A Naval medical officer discusses how detainees on hunger strikes are cared for in the hospital at Camp Delta where detainees are housed at Naval Station Guantanamo Bay in Cuba on July 8, 2010. UPI/Roger L. Wollenberg
A Naval medical officer discusses how detainees on hunger strikes are cared for in the hospital at Camp Delta where detainees are housed at Naval Station Guantanamo Bay in Cuba on July 8, 2010. UPI/Roger L. Wollenberg 
License photo
Published: April 21, 2013 at 7:47 PM

GUANTANAMO BAY, Cuba, April 21 (UPI) -- About half of the 166 prisoners at the U.S. Navy base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, are on a hunger strike, officials said Sunday.

A prison spokesman said 84 inmates at Guantanamo Bay are currently on a hunger strike, 16 of whom are being force fed through tubes that run through their noses to their stomachs, The Miami Herald reported.

Five of the hunger strikers have been hospitalized, Army Lt. Col. Samuel House said, adding none of them "have any life-threatening conditions."

Officials said the number of prisoners on hunger strikes has risen since U.S. troops raided a communal medium-security compound at the prison April 13. Inmates being held in the compound had covered up most of the prison's surveillance cameras and kept themselves largely out of view of the guards.

After the raid, about 65 prisoners were put under single-occupancy cell lockdown.

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional World News Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
It's confirmed, the TCNJ student that last month left her purse for identification on the George...
Fark Food Thread: How do you make the most of seasonal fruit? Is there a recipe you wait all year...
US government shuts down access to files for 3D printed gun. At least, that's what they think they've...
When you're walking from your trailer park to Radio Shack, make sure no locomotives sneak up behind...
One of the last bastions of manliness for American husbands, the Craftsman power tool is now the...
Photoshop this hair-raising situation