facebook
twitter
search
search

Indian terrorist sentenced to death in 2010 German Bakery attack

April 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM

PUNE, India, April 18 (UPI) -- An Indian man was sentenced to death Thursday for his role in a 2010 terror attack in which 17 people, including five foreigners, were killed, officials say.

Himayat Baig was convicted Monday of murder, criminal conspiracy and other charges in the bombing of the German Bakery in Pune, the Indo-Asian News Service reported.

During sentencing arguments, Baig's attorney, A. Rahman, claimed his client had been framed by investigators, who he said had not arrested or prosecuted the six other suspects in the case. He said Baig was not in Pune at the time of the attack.

After his sentence was pronounced, Baig cried and pleaded for mercy.

Baig's trial took three-and-a-half years and heard testimony from 103 witnesses.

The blast at the famous bakery in an upscale area of the town was the worst terrorist attack in India since the 2008 attacks in Mumbai.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Texas man killed in apparent alligator attack
Kentucky clerk sued for refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses
Police arrest N.C. soldier with assault rifle headed to mall photo shoot
North Korean biochemical weapons researcher defects to Europe
Four accused in slave-labor trafficking ring on Ohio egg farm