UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Judge denies emergency relief for Gitmo hunger striker

|
 
A soldier with the Rhode Island Army National Guard's 115th Military Police Company stands watch in a guard tower at Camp Delta, Guantanamo Bay on June 9, 2010. UPI/Michael R. Holzworth/U.S. Air Force
A soldier with the Rhode Island Army National Guard's 115th Military Police Company stands watch in a guard tower at Camp Delta, Guantanamo Bay on June 9, 2010. UPI/Michael R. Holzworth/U.S. Air Force 
License photo
Published: April 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM

GUANTANAMO BAY, Cuba, April 16 (UPI) -- A U.S. judge denied a request for emergency relief from a hunger-striking inmate at Guantanamo Bay, saying he doesn't have jurisdiction over the facility.

Inmate Musa'ab Omar al-Madhwani, of Yemen, alleged he is on the verge of death and is being denied appropriate medical care while at the U.S. military prison in Cuba, The Washington Post reported.

U.S. District Judge Thomas Hogan said Monday he has no jurisdiction over the conditions at the prison.

Government lawyers denied not giving al-Madhwani medical care and said those on hunger strike are being force fed. They said no detainee has ever died at Guantanamo Bay during a hunger strike.

Hunger strikers at the prison used improvised weapons to clash with guards Saturday before being confined to single cells, CNN reported.

Guards were attempting to move the men from communal living space to individual cells because they had begun covering security cameras with cereal boxes and other items, prohibiting "round-the-clock monitoring" in the facility, Guantanamo spokesman Capt. Robert Durand said.

Attorneys for the detainees said the immediate cause for the protest, which started in February, was a decision to search detainees' Korans. Military officials said Korans were searched for contraband but were handled by interpreters, most of whom are Muslim, not guards.

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional World News Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
It's confirmed, the TCNJ student that last month left her purse for identification on the George...
Fark Food Thread: How do you make the most of seasonal fruit? Is there a recipe you wait all year...
US government shuts down access to files for 3D printed gun. At least, that's what they think they've...
When you're walking from your trailer park to Radio Shack, make sure no locomotives sneak up behind...
One of the last bastions of manliness for American husbands, the Craftsman power tool is now the...
Photoshop this hair-raising situation