North Korea rejects offer of talks from South Korean President Park

April 14, 2013 at 3:29 PM

SEOUL, April 14 (UPI) -- North Korea Sunday rejected an offer of peaceful dialogue from South Korean President Park Geun-hye, calling her offer a "cunning ploy."

Tension on the Korean peninsula has steadily risen during the last several weeks due to saber-rattling by Pyongyang and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

Park's offer came after the North ordered work halted last week at a massive industrial complex in the North Korean city of Kaesong, the last instance of economic cooperation between the two Koreas.

A spokesman for the Kim regime called Park's offer "a cunning ploy to hide the South's policy of confrontation and mislead its responsibility for putting the Kaesong Industrial Complex into a crisis."

Yonhap News Agency said Park made the offer, which was intended to "activate the trust-building process."

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Friday in Seoul the United States supports Park's offer to begin a dialogue.

Kerry cautioned North Korea against launching a missile, saying it would be a "grave mistake."

Related UPI Stories
Topics: John Kerry
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
TSU shooting: 1 dead, 1 wounded in third shooting this week at Houston campus
Listeria threat prompts Whole Foods cheese recall
Russia says missiles aimed at Syria did not land in Iran
Captive orca breeding banned at California's SeaWorld
Wrong drug used in Oklahoma execution