facebook
twitter
search
search

Saudi Arabia: Paralysis sentence not true

April 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia, April 10 (UPI) -- A Saudi judge never considered paralysis as a punishment for man who paralyzed another man, Saudi Arabia's Ministry of Justice said.

The Saudi Gazette, an English-language newspaper, first reported last month a Saudi court was preparing to surgically paralyze Ali al-Khawahir as punishment if he couldn't come up with $266,000 to compensate his victim.

Al-Khawahir was 14 when he stabbed and paralyzed his best friend 10 years ago. He has been in prison ever since.

The justice ministry condemned the report as "untrue" in a series of tweets, CNN reported Wednesday.

"We hope that everyone attempts to verify the facts and be accurate," said the ministry.

Reports of the punishment led Amnesty International and the government of Britain to condemn the sentence as grotesque.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
North Korea on missile cruiser deployment to Japan: U.S. 'will burn'
North Korea blasts South's idea of unified system
Puerto Rico not able to pay more than $72 billion in debts
Seven arrests made in Tunisia hotel killings
Uber executives arrested in Paris