facebook
twitter
search
search

NATO checks reports of Afghan kid deaths

April 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan, April 7 (UPI) -- The reported deaths of 11 Afghan kids in a NATO airstrike were under investigation Sunday, coalition officials said.

The children and an adult woman were killed, an official in Kunar province said, when a NATO jet was called in during a firefight between Afghan soldiers and the Taliban.

A coalition spokesman told Stars and Stripes they were aware of the report, but there had been no reports of civilian deaths from the scene of the battle.

"We are also aware of reports of several civilians injured from the engagement, but no reports of civilian deaths," the NATO-led International Security Assistant Force said in a written statement to the BBC. "ISAF takes all reports of civilian casualties seriously, and we are currently assessing the incident."

Afghanistan's Khaama Press said provincial officials also counted 11 Taliban dead, including a reputed area commander.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
North Korea blasts arrival of U.S. submarine in South Korean port
U.S. lottery lowers portion of cash allocated to jackpot prize
South Korea rescues 5 North Korean sailors
F-16, Cessna planes collide midair in South Carolina, killing two
Colorado court to hear baker's appeal over gay wedding cake