facebook
twitter
search
search

Mubarak detained, allegedly took funds

April 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM

CAIRO, April 7 (UPI) -- Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak has been detained for 15 days while prosecutors investigate charges he seized public money, officials said.

Prosecutor General Talaat Abdallah ordered the detainment even though Egyptian law only permits Mubarak to serve up to two years in custody pending trials and investigations, MENA reported Sunday.

The new charges allow authorities to keep Mubarak in custody even though that two-year period is up.

The Administrative Prosecution says Mubarak, his wife and sons abused their powers and took nearly $146 million in public funds over the past decade to pay for private villas.

Mubarak was previously sentenced to 25 years in prison for charges he was responsible for the deaths of protesters.

He was sentenced to life in prison in June for failing to stop the killings of peaceful protesters, but the court in January accepted the his appeal and agreed to a retrial, which is scheduled to begin April 13.

More than 800 protesters died and 6,000 were injured during protests two years ago that led to the downfall of Mubarak's government, Gulf News reported.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Export-Import Bank ends operations as Congress failed to reauthorize
Islamic State beheads women for sorcery
Obama to expand overtime pay to millions of workers
Germanwings pilot Lubitz buried quietly amid investigation
More than 100 dead in C-130 military plane crash in Indonesia