UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Australia to hand over Afghan base

|
 
Published: March. 26, 2013 at 7:39 AM

PERTH, Australia, March 26 (UPI) -- Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard announced Tuesday Multi National Base Tarin Kowt will be handed to Afghanistan by the end of the year.

With the handover of the base in Uruzgan province, about 1,000 of the 1,600 Australian troops in Afghanistan will return home, Gillard said.

Australia had promised a complete transition of power by the end of 2014, News Limited Network reported.

"In April last year I indicated that we would move into transition in our work in Uruzgan province,'' Gillard said, speaking from Perth, Australia. ''We are well into transition now."

Australians have two bases at Multi National Base Tarin Kowt -- Camp Russell, home to Australian Special Operations Task Group; and Camp Holland, where the remainder of Australia's military and civilian personnel are based, News Limited Network reported.

The plan is to transfer all of Camp Russell and a portion of Camp Holland to Afghanistan by the end of 2013. Once the base closes, some Australian troops will remain in Kandahar and Kabul through 2014, though the number of troops hasn't been determined, Defense Minister Stephen Smith said.

Topics: Julia Gillard, Stephen Smith, War in Afghanistan
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional World News Stories
1 of 20
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill in Washington
View Caption
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill to tour a photography exhibit by HALO Trust, a British nonprofit focused on removing hazardous war debris, including un-exploded devices and landmines, on May 9, 2013 in Washington, D.C. UPI/Kevin Dietsch
fark
School dedicates a portion of its website to a student who just died. Fark: And that's how the parents...
A man probably had a brief moment of joy when he gave the slip to the sheriff's deputy chasing him....
Giant 50-foot magnet makes cross-country trek, as well as quite an attraction
Florida restaurant pulls controversial lion tacos off the menu after huge uproar
Photoshop this red army
Celebrities without teeth. Yes, it is a slideshow. Yes, subby is going to floss now