facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search

Truce with Turkey implemented by PKK

March 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM   |   Comments

ANKARA, Turkey, March 23 (UPI) -- The head of a Kurdish separatist group in Iraq declared a cease-fire in its long-running conflict with neighboring Turkey, starting Saturday.

Murat Karayilan told his troops by walkie-talkie Friday hostilities would be halted, and the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) could withdraw from Turkish territory provided the Turks take part in a permanent settlement to their disputes.

"We declare a cease-fire starting on March 23. If the (Turkish) parliament and government do the legal groundwork for a commission, we could withdraw (from Turkey)," Karayılan said in a video broadcast show in Germany, Turkey's Daily Hurriyet said.

Karayilan's announcement came in the wake of a cease-fire proposed earlier this month by Abdullah Ocalan, the jailed leader of the PKK in Turkey. Ocalan said publicly the truce would set the stage for a "new era" in Turkey's relations with its ethnic Kurds, the newspaper said.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
5-year-old girl in Idaho shot dead by another 5-year-old
2
Bachmann: Obama wants to use child immigrants for medical experiments
3
Bill Clinton claims he could have killed Osama Bin Laden
4
Army receives first advanced CH-47F helicopter variant
5
Utah man teaches 'homophones', fired for promoting gay agenda
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback