facebook
twitter
search
search

Truce with Turkey implemented by PKK

March 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM

ANKARA, Turkey, March 23 (UPI) -- The head of a Kurdish separatist group in Iraq declared a cease-fire in its long-running conflict with neighboring Turkey, starting Saturday.

Murat Karayilan told his troops by walkie-talkie Friday hostilities would be halted, and the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) could withdraw from Turkish territory provided the Turks take part in a permanent settlement to their disputes.

"We declare a cease-fire starting on March 23. If the (Turkish) parliament and government do the legal groundwork for a commission, we could withdraw (from Turkey)," Karayılan said in a video broadcast show in Germany, Turkey's Daily Hurriyet said.

Karayilan's announcement came in the wake of a cease-fire proposed earlier this month by Abdullah Ocalan, the jailed leader of the PKK in Turkey. Ocalan said publicly the truce would set the stage for a "new era" in Turkey's relations with its ethnic Kurds, the newspaper said.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
'Serial stowaway' arrested again at Chicago's O'Hare, Midway airports
Maine man dead after shooting firework off head, police say
Greeks vote overwhelmingly to reject creditors' bailout
Third disturbance in four days erupts at Arizona prison
Two killed by police gunfire in 2 separate Central Texas shootings