facebook
twitter
search
search

Nigeria: Some hostages may still be alive

March 19, 2013 at 9:53 AM

ABUJA, Nigeria, March 19 (UPI) -- Some of the foreigners kidnapped and held hostage by Nigerian terrorists may still be alive despite reports they were killed, the country's president says.

Goodluck Jonathan made the claim after reviewing a video released last week by a faction of Boko Haram in which they claimed all the hostages were killed, Leadership Newspapers reported Tuesday.

While speculating that some of the hostages may have died from health conditions and others killed outright, Jonathan said analysis of the video "does not really give us a conclusive position."

He said he suspected some of the hostages might still be alive because the video did not show all their bodies.

The hostages, from Greece, Lebanon, Italy and Britain, were kidnapped by members of the Ansaru faction of Boko Haram in February from a construction site in the northern state of Bauchi.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Kurds plan to carve state out of Iraq after fighting stops, leaders say
Kentucky clerk sued for refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses
Van hauling fireworks catches fire on I-15 near California-Nevada border
Sean 'Diddy' Combs avoids felony rap for attacking UCLA coach
Police arrest N.C. soldier with assault rifle headed to mall photo shoot