facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Gag order issued in Mubarak investigation

March 19, 2013 at 11:37 AM   |   Comments

CAIRO, March 19 (UPI) -- Egypt's top prosecutor has banned public statements about an investigation into Hosni Mubarak's alleged misappropriation of millions of dollars in state funds.

The former president, who was ousted in 2011, is accused of using fake contracts to access nearly $162 million in funds earmarked for presidential palaces for private villas in Cairo and Sharm El-Sheik for himself and his two sons, al-Masry al-Youm reported Monday.

Prosecutor General Talaat Abdallah issued the gag order after judicial sources told the news outlet on March 5 that documents proving Mubarak's guilt had been found following the Jan. 25 revolution.

The next day, Hisham al-Qarmout, a member of the Supreme State Security Prosecution, requested the gag order, saying the media should not be able to report on the case until the investigation was complete.

The Administrative Control Authority, which is reviewing the case, has already proven Mubarak used $7.4 million in state funds each year to maintain the villas, the report said.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Celebrity Couples of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Celebrity Couples of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Jodi Arias granted delay in death penalty retrial
2
Hamas executes 18 it claims are Israeli informers, takes credit for kidnapping Israeli teens
3
Man who spent 24 years in prison for arson murder freed
4
Malaysia Airlines MH17 victims' bodies arrive in Kuala Lumpur
5
Heather Mack, mother, argued in lobby before suitcase murder
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback