facebook
twitter
search
search

Venezuela spikes plan to display Chavez

March 16, 2013 at 11:14 AM

CARACAS, Venezuela, March 16 (UPI) -- Venezuela has decided not to embalm the body of the late President Hugo Chavez and put it on display, the government's information minister says.

In a Twitter message, Ernesto Villegas said embalming had been ruled out after Russian medical advisers said the body would have to be transported to Russia and remain there for several months, CNN reported Friday.

Acting President Nicolas Maduro said Wednesday the embalming process was "quite difficult and that the decision "should have been taken much earlier."

A hearse carrying Chavez's casket was accompanied by thousands of Venezuelans Friday as it traveled 7 1/2 miles from the Military Academy to the Military Museum in Caracas, RIA Novosti reported.

The casket was placed in a marble sarcophagus that was to be available for access Saturday to anyone who wanted to pay tribute to Chavez, who died March 5 at age 58 after a two-year battle with cancer.

Presidential elections are scheduled for April 14.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
'Serial stowaway' arrested again at Chicago's O'Hare, Midway airports
Maine man dead after shooting firework off head, police say
Burt's Bees co-founder Burt Shavitz dies at 80
Dalai Lama celebrating 80th birthday at Southern California summit
Hillary Clinton comments on Humans of New York photo of distraught gay youth