facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
X
Breaking News: ISIS allegedly beheads second American journalist
 

Robbers try to make deal with prosecutor

March 14, 2013 at 7:46 AM   |   Comments

ROTTERDAM, Netherlands, March 14 (UPI) -- The three Romanians who allegedly stole seven paintings from Rotterdam's Kunsthal museum want to be tried in the Netherlands, their lawyer said Thursday.

Earlier this week, the Dutch prosecutors decided not to begin proceedings to have the men extradited and that they would begin the trial in Romania, DutchNews.nl said.

But the suspects' lawyer, Bogdan Cimbru, said if they are not tried in the Netherlands, the paintings will never be recovered.

"They have made this very clear," Cimbru said.

The suspects do not believe they will get a fair trial in Romania and are worried about spending time in a Romanian prison, DutchNews.nl said. They are looking to make a deal with the prosecutor.

The heist took place on Oct. 16, DutchNews.nl said, and the three men allegedly took works by Monet, Picasso, Matisse and Gauguin.

A 19-year-old Romanian woman is being held on suspicion after possessing the paintings after the robbery, DutchNews.nl said.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Madeleine McCann report finds authorities hindered investigation
2
Obama approval rating hits record low in blue California
3
At least 6 dead in Paris apartment explosion
4
Islamic State allegedly beheads second American journalist
5
Bronx man dies by self-decapitation
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback