facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Nigeria claims success against Boko Haram

March 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM   |   Comments

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria, March 10 (UPI) -- Nigeria said it won a lopsided victory against the Boko Haram rebels in a series of operations in Borno state.

A spokesman for the Joint Task Force announced that 52 Boko Haram gunmen were killed over 10 days and another 70 were arrested, with task force casualties limited to two dead and three wounded.

"No civilian casualty was recorded," said Lt. Col. Sagir Musa. "Weapons, ammunition, uniforms and other items were recovered in Friday's operation."

Task force troops and the rebels shot it out late Friday in the state capital of Maiduguri shortly after President Goodluck Jonathan completed an official visit earlier in the day. A series of bombs went off in the city just after Jonathan's departure, Leadership Newspapers said Sunday.

Jonathan recently declared he would not grant amnesty to Boko Haram fighters as part of the overall effort to end to the conflict. Leadership Newspapers said the president's stand has received mixed reviews from Nigerian politicians and scholars.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Source: Ferguson cop beaten before shooting
2
Boko Haram overruns Nigerian police academy
3
Robert Hansen, notorious Alaska serial killer, dead at 75
4
4 firefighters injured in 'Ice Bucket Challenge'
5
Pope Francis calls family of slain journalist James Foley to console them
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback