facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Port Said massacre defendants transferred

March 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM   |   Comments

ISMAILIA, Egypt, March 7 (UPI) -- Officials said they moved 39 defendants on trial for last year's Port Said soccer massacre in Egypt to a prison in Ismailia Thursday.

The families of the defendants made the transfer request, al-Masry al-Youm reported, fearing the defendants would be targeted for more violence before the verdict announcement Saturday.

The Ismailia Appeals Court will only allow lawyers and media when the ruling is announced to prevent more violence, al-Masry al-Youm said.

The move comes after clashes in Port Said Sunday, and Thursday when protesters demonstrated for the fourth day demanding the prisoners be released.

The number of injuries in the clashes had reached 223, a media representative for the Health Ministry said.

Authorities said the defendants would stay in Ismailia until the ruling.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
New Jersey man caught selling 'Ebola' heroin New Jersey man caught selling 'Ebola' heroin
2
Destroyers with ballistic missile defense capability heading to Japan Destroyers with ballistic missile defense capability heading to Japan
3
Kimberly Guilfoyle: young women should be 'excused' from voting to go on Tinder Kimberly Guilfoyle: young women should be 'excused' from voting to go on Tinder
4
Female gym teacher busted for repeated sex with student Female gym teacher busted for repeated sex with student
5
American fighting with Kurds in Syria: Civilians burned in chemical attack American fighting with Kurds in Syria: Civilians burned in chemical attack
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback